Wednesday, November 17, 2010

responsibility and chores and an allowance?

I fully believe that children can have responsibilities in the home, based on their abilities and their age. A child of three or so can sweep up crumbs with a small dustpan and broom. A child of nine can hang up their own laundry and so on. I feel that there are duties(chores) that everyone in the house does because they live in the house. Such as, setting the table, cooking, basic cleaning etc. Then there are those chores that are above and beyond, mowing the lawn, washing the car, walking the dog. My thoughts are that children should not get paid for doing the everyday chores. Mom and dad don't get paid to do the chores, we are all a part of this family and everyone helps. That phrase is heard often in my house. I want my children to learn how to manage their money.  I think this is where an allowance comes in. This gives them the chance to save, spend and deal with their money.  I do feel that if the child goes above and beyond then they can earn some extra money. Do you give your child an allowance? Do they do chores, how did you decide how much to give them and what do they have to do to get it?

No comments:

Post a Comment