Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It breaks my heart

This issue does not affect me directly but it breaks my heart.  In a local school system (not the one that my children are in), there is talk of school closures. Lots of closures. I feel horrible for these families. What about the rising seniors? One more year in their school and now they may have to go somewhere else. The school system needs to save money.  There has to be another way. I feel that it's always the kids that have to pay the ultimate sacrifice. We need good teachers, good schools and quality curriculum. That curriculum needs to include a variety of subjects, including exposure to the arts and foreign languages. I feel that a school can have state of the art equipment and the best teachers and it can still not be successful. The right approach is needed to teach our children. I do not feel that charter/magnet schools are the ultimate answer either. There can be great public schools along with great charter schools. There can also be terrible public schools and terrible charter schools. Yes, I do feel that Montessori is the way to go......I am biased, I admit that. What do you think? What will help fix the educational crisis that is happening in our country? Hmmmm...I guess this issue does affect me directly.

2 comments:

  1. First of all, since I know the school system you're referring to, I have to tell the kids who have peacefully demonstrated on behalf of their schools, well done! You've made your point without letting things get ugly, now your parents have had a hard time not getting heated, but it's because they love you. Moving on...

    I'm not for taking money "away" from someone, but it's time for the elected officials to put their money where their mouths are! STOP giving yourselves raises while everyone else is suffering because of the decisions you make. Yes, money makes the world go 'round, but you're not helping things in any way, shape, or form. They could have easily come up with a few hundred thousand if they wouldn't have voted to give it to themselves...

    I also think that teachers who get results should keep their jobs and receive incentives for it, the ones who don't should be put on probation for one year and then redetermine their usefulness inside the school system. Harsh? Absolutely! Enough is enough though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree, I am so proud of those kids. Good for them for sticking up for what they believe in, and in a peaceful manner.
    The whole situation is a mess......there has to be a better way.

    ReplyDelete