Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Japan

Watching the devastation in Japan is overwhelming. I can't even begin to imagine what the survivors are going through. I have been watching the footage of the homes, businesses, and cars being washed away and smashed into nothing. It is truly unbearable to see the power and force of that much water. It saddens my heart and I am thousands of miles away. I saw a different kind of report on the news this morning. It showed the Japanese people picking themselves up after a catastrophe. They were cleaning up, even making their own chopsticks. They were taking care of their young and old with grace and dignity. I don't know what I would do if this was me. Would I be strong enough to pick myself up, dust myself off, and move on? Would you? We can learn so many valuable lessons from this tragedy. I hope that we do.
Have you told your children about this horrific event? How much did you tell them and how did they react? My kids know that there was an earthquake and tsunami and I did have to reassure them that something like that wouldn't happen here. However, I haven't let them see the images on the TV. I can barely process it so I'm not sure that two kids could handle it. Imagine what the children in Japan are going through. It's mind boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment