Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mommy instincts

When I first started teaching, a long time ago, I did not have any children of my own. I was, however, an educator so I knew about children. Or so I thought. Everything changed after having a child. I found that I did not know everything about children. Having a child of my own put a whole new twist on teaching, it put a whole new twist on life. Life became more like a tornado. In a good way of course! Children do not come with a manual, all of a sudden you have a child and they do not come with instructions. How in the world do we know what to do? I have learned that mommy instincts will kick in. Somehow we actually do know what to do. Side note- I'm sure that daddy's have instincts too but I'm a mom so I can't speak on behalf of dads. Somehow we know what our kids need. We know how to decipher their cries when they are babies. Even if we think we don't know what to do, we actually do. I have found that if I can stay calm and think about the situation, I might actually be able to come up with a solution to the problem. Of course, my instincts aren't always right and another option may need to be followed, but I think I'm doing OK so far. Have you had to rely on your instincts? Did it work out? Do you think that moms do have mommy instincts? What about the dads, I would love to hear from you also!

No comments:

Post a Comment